Cheers to another new year and another year of resolutions! Hopefully, you have had some success with last year’s goals, but if you have fell a bit short, there is no time like the present to try again and get it right. Need some ideas to help you get on track for a healthier lifestyle? Here are seven tips for 2017!
1. Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Eat from smaller plates and bowls
- Always ask for a to-go container at a restaurant
- Slow down! Put the fork down between each bite
2. Power up with fruits and veggies!
- Add fresh salsa to your morning omelet
- Whip up a fruit smoothie for a snack
- Include all forms (fresh, frozen, canned, dried, and 100% juice) to make adding fruits and vegetables convenient, affordable, and fun!
3. Move More
- Set an alarm every hour to get up and move.
- Wear a pedometer and challenge yourself to get a minimum of 10,000 steps daily.
- Walk in place during television commercials
4. Cut down on Screen Time
- Develop a daily screen time budget
- Limit eating while watching television. Many people overeat because they are not paying attention to how much food they are consuming.
5. Catch up on sleep
- Stick to a sleep schedule
- Have an active day so that you are actually tired at night
6. Rethink your drink
- Replace soda with water or tea
- Drink flavored or sparkling water to make it more fun
7. Always pause for breakfast
- Breakfast gives you energy to get your day started and your metabolism moving; never sell yourself short by skipping it
- Plan what you are going to eat for breakfast the night before so that you already have a game plan for the morning