The choice of party food makes the tailgate, but when you’re making plans in Dover, DE, you can go ready-made or homemade, worry-free, by shopping with Redner’s Markets on Greentree Dr. in West Dover or Salt Creek Dr. in North Dover.
Meatballs for the Ball Game
Tailgating requires convenient foods that you can eat without utensils. Meatballs are perfect! A few toothpicks and napkins are all that you’ll need to serve, and the shape perfectly mirrors the object of attention.
A Meatball Platter made by the Redner’s Markets deli is available hot or cold, served in marinara or brown gravy. A small platter serves 10-15 guests, while a large one serves 20-25
You can make delicious meatballs with a few ingredients purchased at Redner’s Markets. Here are a few recipe ideas to get you started!
Crockpot Grape Jelly Meatballs
Prep Time: 5 min; Cook Time: 2 hrs; Total Time: 2 hrs, 5 min
Makes 10 servings; Serving size = about 4 meatballs
- 1 ½ cups grape jelly
- 1 cup chili sauce
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- 2 lbs. Frozen meatballs
- 2 TBSP chives, diced
- Combine the first six ingredients (jelly-pepper). Whisk well.
- Spray the crockpot bowl with cooking spray.
- Add the frozen meatballs to the crockpot.
- Pour the mixed sauces over the meatballs. Mix to cover the meatballs.
- Cook on high for about 2 hours, stirring after one.
- Top with chives to serve.
Prep Time: 10 min; Cook Time: 20 min; Total Time: 30 min
Makes 12 servings; Serving size = 4 meatballs
- 1 lb. ground beef
- Ground pork
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1 TBSP parsley
- ¼ cup parmesan, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix all of the ingredients until combined.
- Create ball shapes with about 1 ½ TBSP mixture (about 48 meatballs).
- Bake for about 20 minutes (until done).
Crockpot Italian Meatballs
Prep Time: 20 min; Cook Time: 8 hrs; Total Time: 8 hrs, 20 min
Makes about 24 meatballs.
- 2 cans whole tomatoes (28 oz. each)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ tsp minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb. ground round
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- Combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, olive oil, oregano, pepper flakes, garlic, bay leaves, and two teaspoons of salt in the crockpot.
- Crush the whole tomatoes.
- Pulse the onions, carrots, parsley, and garlic in a food processor until it reaches a paste texture.
- In a bowl, combine the ground round, pork, eggs, breadcrumbs, parmesan, and one teaspoon of salt.
- Mix and make meatballs from about ¼ cup of meat (about 24).
- Add the meatballs to the sauce in the crockpot.
- Cook for about 4 hours on high or 7 hours on low.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving the meatballs.
To make or order meatballs, the perfect tailgate party food in Dover, DE, choose Redner’s Markets.