With tailgate season comes cold weather, and the food options will also change as the weather grows ever more chilly. Redner’s Markets provides an impressive number of dishes, including party trays and platters and fully catered meals. We also offer top-quality ingredients at low prices for personalizing the food enjoyed at the game.
For the ultimate convenience, take advantage of Redner’s Ready. Shop online and pull up curbside on the way to the game or in time to make whatever preparations you need at home before heading out. For deli orders, please give us a 48-hour warning.
From the deli department at Redner’s Markets, order party subs; brioche sliders; hoagies; wraps; cheese, fruit, meat, or combo platters; chicken nugget or wing trays; meatball platters; or fried chicken.
Some of our faves for cold weather include boiled peanuts and slow-cooker chili. Both warming on a cold day; you’ll only need an adapter to run your slow cooker while tailgating to keep these hot foods steaming.
Prep Time: 5 min; Soak Time: 8 hrs; Cook Time: 5 hrs
- 1 ½ cups salt (divided)
- Salt to season to taste
- 2 lbs. Raw peanuts (still in the shell)
- Soak the peanuts in salted water for 8-12 hours (½ cup of salt / 2 gallons water).
- Drain the water out of the pot. Add 2 gallons of water and 1 cup salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer with a lid on the pot for 5-8 hours; add water as needed and stir occasionally.
- Check the peanuts every couple of hours for doneness and seasoning. (If more salt is needed, add a few tablespoons at a time.)
- Cool before loading into the crockpot to keep piping hot at the game!
Cajun Style Boiled Peanuts
Kick up the spice with these snacking delights!
Cook Time: 36 hours in a slow cooker
- 2 lbs. Raw peanuts still in the shells
- ⅓ cup salt
- 3 TBSP cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Add the peanuts, salt, cajun seasoning, crushed red pepper, liquid smoke, and garlic powder to a LARGE crockpot. Add enough water to cover the peanuts.
- Cook on low between 36-38 hours, adding water as needed.
Slow-Cooker Tailgating Chili
- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cans red kidney beans (drain and rinse)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 ½ TBSP chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- Saute the onion and bell pepper for about five minutes (until the onion is translucent).
- Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant (another two minutes or so).
- Add the ground meat and brown.
- Drain the meat.
- Add the meat mixture to a large crockpot. Stir in the kidney beans, tomatoes, and seasonings.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
Notes – If you find this chili too thin for your liking, create a slurry of 1 TBSP of cornstarch and 1 TBSP of water and stir into the crockpot. Cook for another half hour.
Tailgating with this chili can’t get easier! Pack some single-serve bags of corn chips or tortillas, shredded cheese, diced onion, and sour cream for a delicious walking chili bowl!
Tailgate fun doesn’t end when the weather gets cold if you choose appropriate food options – all sourced affordably and conveniently from Redner’s Markets.