By: Liz Jalkiewicz, RDN, LDN Nutrition Specialist,
American Dairy Association North East
Homemade popsicles are so simple to make, kids love the way they taste, and parents love the fact that they’re nutritious for their children. Frozen yogurt pops taste like a total indulgence, yet they are actually made with wholesome, nutritious ingredients to create that perfect mix of protein, carbohydrates and fat.Bright in color and big on flavor, you can get them whipped up and in the freezer in under 10 minutes.
PERKS OF ADDING GREEK YOGURT
Adding Greek yogurt not only creates a creamy texture and boosts the protein content, but it keeps kids (and adults!) feeling satisfied for a longer period of time.Here are three more reasons to add Greek yogurt to your day to day meal plan.
- Just like traditional yogurt, Greek yogurt contains essential nutrients like calcium and protein –plus, many Greek yogurts contain live and active cultures, which help aid in digestive health.
- Greek yogurt on average contains twice the protein as regular yogurt.
- Greek yogurt is very versatile. It can be using as a snack all on its own or incorporated into a recipe to make dips, smoothies, baked goods and so much more.
GET CREATIVE WITH PRODUCE COMBINATIONS
Use your imagination and try seasonal fruits like melons or berries, as well as ingredients like fresh herbs such as basil or mint, and natural sweeteners like honey and agave nectar. Get creative and let your taste buds go wild! Use fresh fruit when possible, but remember frozen fruit works just as well all year-round!
- Strawberries + Basil + Honey + Strawberry Greek Yogurt
- Blueberries + Mint + Agave + Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- Raspberries+ Lemon Juice + Honey + Lemon Greek Yogurt
EASY AND NUTRITIOUS FROZEN YOGURT POP RECIPES
Here are three simple make-at-home frozen yogurt pop recipes that are kid-friendly, nutritious and delicious. The perfect snack for those hot summer days!
- Use popsicle sticks and paper cups instead of the fancy popsicle molds to keep things simple and easy.
- Most popsicles will freeze within 2-3 hours so there is no need to plan or prepare too far in advance.
- Run the popsicle mold (or paper cup) under hot tap water for about 10-15 seconds to loosen the mold and have the popsicle pop right out.
For additional frozen yogurt pop recipes like, Key Lime Pie Popsicles snd Creamy Frozen Fruit Popsicles, check out www.cabotcheese.coop