6 Things You Can Do To Improve Your Nutrition
Habits, we all know, are hard to alter. So, here are six, oh-so-simple changes you can make to improve your nutrition. Your body will thank you if you try even half of them. (Note: These recommendations are for adults only. The nutritional needs of babies and children differ.)
1. Eat a healthful, low-fat breakfast each morning. Focus on whole grains, fruit and low-fat dairy products.
2. Aim for at least six servings of grains each day; ideally three should be whole grains. Whole wheat bread, oatmeal, brown rice, whole rolled oats, popcorn, whole grain cereals, and whole grain corn are good examples of grains to include in a healthful diet.
3. Go to your grocery store and purchase one fruit that you’ve never tasted before. If you don't know what it is, ask the manager of the department. If you don't know how to prepare it, ask about that too.
4. While at the grocery store, select one vegetable that you haven't had in a year. When you arrive home, consult your favorite cookbook for a new recipe using it. Better yet, wash it and eat it fresh and raw. Or, you can try parboiling it for just a minute and then plunge into ice water.
5. Consume one more vegetarian meal than you did last week.
6. Purchase a vegetarian cookbook.